Anyone who follows me on instagram would know Im a dress girl through and through, I love nothing more than sewing up a pretty dress or two.
But with my first Me Made May fast approching, the reality is, I needed some tops in my wardrobe. As much as I love making and wearing dresses they are not all that I wear, mainly because they not always practical when chasing around 2 kids under 5 years old.
Enter Deer and Doe’s Datura blouse, I wanted a sleevless some what fitted top that could easily be dressed up or down and this pattern fit the bill perfectly.
The pattern had been sitting in my stash since I purchased it on a whim from a fantastic little independant fabric store The Drapery here in Adelaide. I was initally put off by the advanced label on the pattern, but after I sat down and had a look at it I realised that this was possibly because of scarcity of the instuctions, as much as I love Deer and Doe patterns, there instuctions are certainly aimed at more experienced sewists.
My first version, I made up in amazing cloud9 geometric print voile that I broke my fabric ban for. The fabric is a little on the sheer side so to combat this I underlined it in a plain white voile.
As it was my first I followed the limited instructions with the exception of collar or cut outs and made no other alterations. The fit was ok, but it felt a little on the short side and the bust darts sat a little high.
The second version, I made up once again in a voile, this time from one of my favourites, Miss Matatabi fabrics on etsy.
the insides of version 2
I gave up on the instructions mostly for this one, I couldnt get the shoulder seams to work right and instead, I added a seam allowance and cut the bodice back in 2 pieces instead of on the fold, this means I now have a centre back seam but its not something that bothers me so I dont mind. I also added roughly an inch to my pattern piece above the bust darts, this in turn fixed both the length and dart height I didn’t like in my first version.
And finally my third, is made up in some drapey checked and plain black polyester from my local spotlight, I made this one the same way as my second version complete with french seams (mainly because my overlocker currently has white thread in it, and I didnt feel like changing it haha) and buttonholes.
french seams and buttonholes
Im still going to need some more tops in my wardrobe, but these are a start. I really like the cut and the button detail of these. And they are sure to be on high rotation for those days a pretty dress just wont cut it.